Yarkon Circular Trail
Trail Lengthכ 10 קילומטרים
*The numbers indicate locations that appear on the map, which is linked below.
(1) We start the trail from the east most side of the of the Bavli housing project, riding towards the point where the Ayalon river connects to the Yarkon river under the Rosh-Tsipor bridge.
We ride up the pedestrian bridge and exit at the middle of it to reach the Rosh-Tsipor forest (2), which lies a strip of land that goes in between both rivers.
The forest is consisted mainly of planted Tavor oak, Atlantic terebinth and Redbud trees, planted here by KKL in from the 1950’s.
Rosh-Tsipor means “Bird head” – which originates from the shape of the forest when drawn on map.
The forest trail is circular and we will ride it anti-clockwise while keeping to the right.
To Tel Garissa
Next, we will reach a sign, directing us to a gravel trail leading to Tel Garissa (3), and on the way, will encounter a few challenging trail segments.
Tel Garisa was found to have some archeological remnants of a big enchant city, whose inhabitants enjoyed the richness of the surrounding environment, created by the existence of two adjacent rivers, the Yarkon and Ayalon rivers.
To the “7 Mills” archeological site
From Tel Garissa, we ride back to the north-east corner of the Rosh-Tsipor forest trail, and then a right turn, followed by a left turn, will take us to the “7 Mills” archeological site (4).
The “7 mills” is called after 7 flower mills that were operated at the western part of a big flour milling complex that had existed in the area since the days of the Ottoman Empire.
The site underwent extensive restoration efforts from 1990 to 2008, and its management was commissioned to the Avshalom Center for Israel Studies.
Archeological diggings led by Yehoshua Drey, managed to uncover different relics from the time of the Ottoman Empire, and future digging is expected uncover new parts of the structure.
The north bank of the Yarkon river
From “7 Mills”, we cross the bridge (5) over to the north bank of the river Yarkon, away towards the Park Lake (6) and on along the Aviary fence (7).
The trail to the lake is narrow at some points and pedestrians may sometimes walk over the bicycle path, so it’s recommended to slow down and mind your surroundings for safety.
Next, we will ride west, under the Yarkon bridge to the Sportech sports complex (9), at which point whoever wants to stop for a ball game at the complex is welcome to do so, before we head on to Gan Ha’banim memorial garden (10).
As we paddle towards the boating center, we can already smell the ocean breeze, and we cross the bridge to ride along the south bank of the Yarkon until the last bridge (11) before the Yarkon spills to the Mediterranean Sea (11), in front of the Reading power station.
At this point, the river used to split around a strip of land nicknamed the “Yarkonian Half-island”, on which the Maccabia national sports competition was held ever since the construction of a small Stadium in 1932.
In 1938, the Tel Aviv port was built at the south side of the half-island.
In 1934, Two medieval forts were discovered during the construction of the light house nearby.
A marble stone pillar commemorates an invasion of the British 154th brigade who crossed the river to fight the Turkish who occupied it before WWI.
The way back…
Before heading back to the park, a 3-km ride along the coast is a personal recommendation.
The way back goes along the south bank of the Yarkon, by the rowing boat club, where we will find a Memorial (13) for Zionist Opposition soldiers who died during a mission to the Lebanon coast on May 1941.
After a short comfortable ride along the river, we will reach the parking lot where we started our trip.
The rout was navigated using Two-Nav, a bicycle navigation device.
Length of the ride: 10 km.